Affiliate marketing is a lot of work. The entire process requires careful planning and strategy to make sure that your marketing campaigns go well and that everyone involved is successful. Because, when your affiliate partners are successful, your business is successful.
How do affiliate partners represent your brand effectively while still showing themselves as credible and trustworthy experts? One way to help them achieve this is by making swipe files and swipe copy readily available to them.
Provide value to your affiliate partners quickly and easily with Affiliate Royale. Get started today!
What is Swipe Copy?
Swipe copy is a collection of copywriting that businesses keep in their arsenal. It is intended to help your affiliates easily create their own copy that will better promote your business.
Swipe copy is one part of an affiliate marketing swipe file. A swipe file is a collection of successful and effective marketing and copy examples. These examples provide much-needed inspiration during those times when your affiliate hits a mental block and needs some ideas to get them back up and running.
Your swipe file can contain anything from old newspaper advertisements and copy of a great email series to powerful images and words — and even examples of copy that's worked great for your business in the past.
Swipe copy isn’t meant to be copied word-for-word. It's meant to be used to help your affiliate partners craft their own content in a way that speaks to their specific audience and encourages sales of your product or services. In your swipe copy, you want to be sure to remind your affiliates who they are speaking to and what your brand is all about.
Is Swipe Copy Really That Beneficial?
In short, YES!
Communication is everything in affiliate marketing, and if your affiliates aren’t the strongest copywriters, swipe copy can be a valuable resource for them.
You can include examples of strong blog copy, social media captions, and email subject lines to help them create compelling content that accurately represents your brand and helps boost conversions.
In addition to copy examples, you can include data about your business’ customer bases, pre-made banners and/or approved photos, as well as tips and guidelines on your business’ branding.
Why Can’t Affiliates Copy the Swipe Copy?
There are a few reasons it isn’t a good idea for your affiliates to simply copy and paste the swipe files you provide to them:
- It’s bad for SEO. If every single affiliate in your program decides to use the content you've given them word for word, all your hard work could go down the drain. That's because search engines don't like finding the same exact content in multiple places. Duplicate content is not beneficial to your SEO strategy and can hurt your rankings.
- It’s bad for your reputation. No consumer likes to be “sold to” in an overly salesy way. We’ve all met an affiliate or sales representative we hate to see coming our way. Why? Because we know they're always aiming to hard-sell us something! They use the same approach, same language, the same everything to attempt to make a sale. Encourage your affiliates to take a unique approach to their promotion of your business, so potential customers won’t run away from your business.
- It doesn’t help your affiliates improve. Any time someone joins a new affiliate program, they come in with a certain set of ideas and assumptions. The longer they're in the affiliate program, the more they learn about the company and how to speak for that company. If you give your affiliates copy-and-paste material that they never really work on or learn anything from, they'll never improve and become better representatives for your business.
Final Tips for Using Swipe Copy
Here are a few things to keep in mind when using swipe copy and sharing it with your affiliates:
- Give your affiliates the highlights. When you send your swipe file over to your affiliate partners, be sure the file includes content that shows affiliates how to keep the branding consistent, guidelines on whether or not to mention competitors, and how to emphasize certain products and services that your business offers and sells.
- Give your affiliates messaging options. You can’t use the same language and messaging for every product/service or every situation. Be sure to provide swipe files with different tones and messaging to ensure that your affiliates will be prepared to represent your company in any environment or situation.
- Keep your audience in mind. When compiling content for your swipe file, make sure to include content and examples that pertain to your audience and speak to them properly. This will help your affiliates understand how your company wants to portray themselves to the public.
- Update your swipe file. Creating a swipe file and sending it to your affiliates doesn't mean that the work stops there. You want to update and edit your swipe copy every so often. You may have found a new set of copy that converts well or that matches the vibe you want your company to have — add it to your arsenal! The entire point of having swipe copy is to use it for reference and inspiration. You and your affiliates will only benefit from refreshing that arsenal of resources every so often!
Get your affiliate program up and running in no time with Affiliate Royale. Get started now!
Swipe copy is a critical piece of the affiliate marketing puzzle. Without it, you run the risk of your affiliate promotions coming off inconsistent and disingenuous.
Give your affiliates a helping hand by offering them swipe copy that will help them properly represent and market your company, which equates to increased conversion rates for your business and passive income for your affiliates. And everyone is happy!
Do you use swipe copy in your business? Let us know about it in the comments section below!