There are many elements to a successful affiliate website, but one that’s often overlooked is your blog. A poorly optimized blog on your affiliate site can mean you’re losing out on increased traffic and a high number of conversions.
Fortunately, adding crucial elements to your blog is easy, and the benefits can be worth the effort. With just a few tweaks, you can bring your blog from sub-par to professional. This can improve your readership and directly lead to an increase in sales.
In this post, we’ll introduce those benefits, then share three elements you should include. We'll also talk more about how you can use them effectively. Let’s get started!
Why Every Affiliate Website Should Have an Active Blog
An active blog – one that’s updated frequently – is a great addition to any affiliate website. Foremost, it helps you to connect with potential leads. It’s also a natural way to generate more leads (which is necessary for business).
Aside from the obvious ‘whys’ behind having a blog on your affiliate website, there are benefits, too. For example, it can:
- Help your affiliate site to rank more favorably on Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs).
- Help you establish credibility within your industry.
- Enable you to naturally promote your affiliate products.
An affiliate blog gives you an edge over the competition. This is especially true if you keep it more frequently updated and provide more valuable content than others in your industry.
3 Crucial Elements of an Effective Affiliate Blog
Aside from keeping your blog updated and valuable, there are certain elements you’ll want to ensure you include on your blog. Let’s dive in!
1. An Email Subscription Form to Connect With Your Leads
As it sounds, an email subscription form collects email addresses from your readers. This can be a valuable resource, as it provides you access to a lead’s personal line of contact. This makes it possible to communicate with them on your terms. Additionally, increased signups means you have a larger audience, and this can naturally boost conversions.
Though, having an email subscription form isn’t enough. You must also effectively promote it to increase email signups. Here are a few tips for how to do so:
- Place your signup form prominently. The most effective places include below your home page header, in the sidebar, and at the bottom of blog posts.
- Offer content upgrades. This will entice leads to sign up, as they’re getting something for their effort.
In addition to the above tips, you’ll also want to keep the signup process simple. The less hassle to sign up, the more signups you’ll receive.
2. Affiliate Link Disclosures to Build Reader Trust
As an affiliate, it’s your job to disclose your position to your readers. This is where affiliate link disclosures – a visible announcement that states your financial stake in the links – come in. Using disclosures on your site promotes transparency, so your readers know when you will earn from one of your links. They also build trust, and it may make them more likely to purchase from you.
Of course, if you want to promote transparency and build trust, you’ll have to use link disclosures properly. Here are a few tips for doing so:
- Place the disclosure prominently. For example, at the very top of your blog posts and pages that include any affiliate links.
- Use clear, direct language. This reduces the chances of misunderstanding, and it protects you from having to forfeit the money you’ve made as a result of your links.
It’s important to place these disclosures on every page or post where affiliate links are used. Even if you have a general disclosure on your website, it’s necessary to repeat the disclosure often.
3. Social Sharing Buttons to Expand Your Content’s Reach
Social sharing buttons are icons on your website that enable readers to directly share your content on their social media feeds, and they can further your content’s reach. This leads to more natural traffic to your site, which is great for bringing in more potential leads.
Fortunately, it’s simple to use social sharing buttons on your WordPress website. However, you have to ensure you’re using them properly to maximize their effectiveness. To get started using them on your site, you should:
- Use a social sharing buttons plugin. Options include Custom Share Buttons with Floating Sidebar and Easy Social Share Buttons for WordPress.
- Place them prominently. For example, as a floating bar on the side of your posts (so users can always see them), or at the very top or bottom of your content.
Adding and effectively using a blog on your affiliate website can be one of the best things you do to drive website traffic and increase your credibility. Its presence can establish you on SERPs, bring you to the attention of industry leaders, and can naturally increase affiliate sales.
In this post, we’ve introduced the benefits of an affiliate website blog. We’ve also shared three elements to include to improve its effectiveness, including:
- An email subscription form to connect with your leads.
- Affiliate link disclosures to build reader trust.
- Social sharing buttons to expand your content’s reach.
Do you have any questions about creating an affiliate blog, or how you can get the most from it? Let us know in the comments section below!